Saturday, July 01, 2006

The best start

I've had the best start possible for my vacation. Thursday was my last day at work and I went out for dinner with three colleagues. Had a great time at Aker Brygge with a view of the harbor and the islands in the Oslo fjord, when you add sun and a warm breeze from the fjord it's great. Yesterday morning I went on my bike along the Aker River ("Akerselva") to Kjelsås. I spent 2 - 3 hours in the sun and was even able to get a little sunburned. Some of the time I spent listening to Jan Kjærstads book "Forføreren" (audio book), a funny and great book from one of Norway's best authors. In the evening I went to a friend’s house in the countryside right outside of Oslo for a barbeque. It was exciting because of a lot of the people where new to me, in other words; I've never met them before.

Marion's House (Photo: Norwegianblogger June 2006)

Flowers in Marion's garden (Photo: Norwegianblogger June 2006)

Some people are just born to be the perfect hosts: Marion is one of them. Her house could have been featured in a design / style magazine and is a cozy, warm setting for gatherings of friends. Coming to a place with a lot of unknown people could be awkward, especially for Norwegians - we are not like the Americans :), but not at Marion's; great conversations, delicious food, and friendly people. I've had the best start possible for my vacation.

4 comments:

Helge Årsvoll said...

Så koselig, Per! Ønsker deg det beste for sommeren. Vi gleder oss til å ta turen til hovedstaden. Nå sitter jeg og ser England-Portugal, og i kveld skal jeg iallefall se Brasil-Frankrike. Jeg har ikke sett en eneste kamp under VM, så nå er det på tide å få med seg litt.
Ha en fin kveld i Oslo, Per.

Norwegianthinker said...

Hei igjen,
Ja, jeg har sett begge kampene og begge "mine" lag gikk ut i dag, men, men.. Synes det har vært moro å følge VM i år og har faktisk sett mange av kampene. Nyt sommeren dere også, og så sees vi senere i sommer!

Geir Skårland said...

I've read "Forføreren". Good book, great writing. Who do you think the storyteller is?

Norwegianthinker said...

Good question. I don't know yet (I've only read about 3/4 of the book). Yes, I enjoy the book. Another great book I've read of Kjærstad is "Tegn til kjærlighet". You would probably like that one.