Sunday, May 28, 2006

Finding my virtual self

Back in the eighties Madonna sang “Living in a material world” – now I guess the chorus could have been “Living in a virtual world – and I am a virtual man.” I’ve been active in cyberspace for awhile, but in some ways my interaction has increased. Much more than before, when the web was more or less a practical tool for finding information or reading news I experience the web to be transforming into a community – a virtual world with rules for communication, acceptable or unacceptable behavior, with bystanders and actors, with environments and places to explore. Most of all I experience the web to be a virtual world where we project an image of who we are OR who we want to be. For me it started with a homepage which was one-sided communication, then I became a blogger and took part in different communities on the web. What started as a presentation of my social anthropological work and a presentation of photos has more and more evolved into the presentation of a virtual self – a person I don’t always understand, but who evolves through interaction at the web. Suddenly I’m communicating with other “projections” from different parts of the world, and I start to wonder: Who are these people? I interact with them, I share thoughts with them and I have fun with them – but it’s all without direct communication with a person of flesh and blood – we’re actually communicating through machines, we’re communicating as projections of who we are or who we want to be. Perhaps it’s the same with a telephone you might say, but this feels really different. As an anthropological explorer I feel like I’m entering the territory of an unknown tribe; A people with a language, with lots of codes, symbols and hidden knowledge, and I’m like a novice trying to find my way, trying to communicate, to seek friendship and relations, to reject when it’s necessary and to open up when the time is right. I’ve done a lot of mistakes, and I’ve been virtually rejected. That’s been a strange experience. Sometimes I’ve “met” virtual people, that has started to enter the category of “virtual friend”, suddenly there is a “virtual code” I’ve broken (probably) and I never hear from them again. They are gone from my virtual world, and I’m left with some questions and the feeling of being rejected without knowing why. I hope to be able to be a better “virtual rejecter” than the method of “virtual disappearance” – this code of behavior seems to be widespread in the virtual world :) . I do think it’s necessary to reject at times though. Sometimes we can’t really meet the expectations that our virtual projections have made in others. Then it’s better to put up “virtual borders” and recommend other communities or “projections”.

I feel like a little baby in this virtual world, and I need to learn the language, I have to listen for advice from “the elders” – I have to find my way, find friends, find communities, find a way to be true to myself in the projection I choose to share in the virtual world. I’ve already found some “elders” here and there who is willing to be mentors in this virtual tribe that I’ve recently entered. I’m still a toddler, but I guess I’ve got some potential to grow up and become a man and maybe one day an elder in this wonderful, scary, interesting VIRTUAL WORLD.

7 comments:

Helge Årsvoll said...

Well, it is not easy to be in a virtual world. I am just a baby here, and know that the language is a barrier. Special when it comes to my english (he-he). But i want to learn how to express my feelings and thoughts in this language.

How do you introduce yourself in this world? It seems to me that there is a chance that i will become alone in my own virtual world.

Maybe i should try to be more interested in others. Not always hope for someone coming to me? Hm.. I think i have to do something about this!

Norwegianthinker said...

Well, you're one of the few that happens to be in both "worlds" for me - you're one of my best friends in "real life" and you're one of my best friends in my "virtual world" :) Through the web we're able to keep in touch much more than what would have been possible without our virtual world. I think you're doing great by the way. One way for you to enter a more active role is for instance to join one of the many Arsenal communities at the web. I think you would love to share and talk about Arsenal with fans from all over the world :)

Helge Årsvoll said...

I have already joined the norwegian supporter club, but have to join a place where i can discuss in english. Yes.

But football is also emptyness for me. It can be too much. I need to blog or discuss other things, too.

It is good, having you there, my dear friend! And have a nice sunday!

Geir Skårland said...

Someone once said that there exists a version of us for each person we know and relate to. All our encounters are, in a way, virtual, as we choose which parts of ourselves to show.

Communicating without so much non-verbal language, however, and apart from the relationships that exist in real life, is perhaps the biggest difference between blogging and ordinary visits and conversations. The opportunities, for me as for you, I think, far outweighs the drawbacks.

Norwegianthinker said...

You're right of course. We always communicate different aspects of ourselves in our daily lives. The difference in cyberspace (especially in chat-rooms etc) is that you've only got the written word, and some of those words can be interpreted in ways that wasn't your intention and you have NO OTHER way to communicate your real intensions. The scary thing is also that you could choose to portray someone completely different. Maybe "Geir Skaarland" is a 80 year old woman in prison or an 8 year old in kindergarden? I know that you're not of course, but how would I know in a chatroom? The funny thing is: I've never met you or communicated with you before we found each other here in Cyberspace. Looking forward to hear from you again!

Johs said...

Funny and true! And some times we have to protect ourselves from beeing a public person...

Norwegianthinker said...

Do we have to protect ourselves from bein a public person? How and in what way? Do you think it's better to be anonymous? Would be interesting to hear more about this...