Friday, July 29, 2005

Picking up memories

Since I'm having my vacation right now, and I'm spending it in Oslo, I have time to do a lot of things. This morning I've been spending some time with one of the old family albums. It's strange to see yourself as a four- or five year old. To look into the eyes of that child and know that it is yourself. Two photos drew my attention this morning. One is with my grandfather and one is with my father. It's kind of funny, because photos can be deceiving. I remember when the photo with my grandfather was shot, because it was a completely arranged situation. I think it was the only time ever that I was that close to him, and I guess it was the only time ever that we read a book together. Kind of funny isn't it? I do remember him as an incredibly nice person, but always at a distance, with my grandmother as the central person for me. I think I would have loved to know him as a grown-up man, but he died when I was ten.

Me and Grandpa, back in the mid 70s.

The photo with my father is interesting. This is typical for his sense of humor. I've obviously been sleeping, and has just woke up. My father is pointing at me with a smile on his face. My father had a lot of artistic gifts. One of them was being a fabulous storyteller. Several mornings I remember waking him up begging him to tell me stories. It wasn't stories from books, but he made them up right there, involving me and the rest of the family in incredible stories from far-a-way countries and kingdoms. Sometimes I was the hero of the story, and what a feeling that was! Sometimes he brought a sketch book and made incredible drawings and sketches. I loved it and I am in some ways puzzled by the fact that after being a commander in the army, he spent his whole life in a factory. It's actually a little sad. What would have happened if he'd been able to free these artistic gifts? I don't know, maybe he would have felt more fulfilled and would have been happier? Hard to say, but I'm sure glad I was able to hear the stories, see the drawings, and experience that art can make ties between fathers and sons, parents and children.

Dad & me

No comments: