Sunday, July 03, 2005

Live 8 Live

I saw parts of the incredible Live 8 live -concert yesterday, and what a concert it was. Many highlights, but for me the three songs with Annie Lennox stands out. Her voice is still strong and better than ever, and at stage she's there with authority and integrity. Events like this never leave me untouched, both in 85 with the original Live Aid concert and yesterday's concert Left me very touched. Seeing people from all over the globe sharing the same event, experiencing the same songs, the same message and acting on it is great. It binds us together as a human race, in spite of our differences and disagreements. In 1985 I was only a teenager being totally excited about being able to see musical heroes live from the UK and the US. Even though I only saw the concert on TV I felt I was part of history. Being young, being hopeful, believing in change. Yesterday, seeing Pet Shop Boys playing in Moscow, Nelson Mandela giving a speech in South Africa and A-ha in Berlin made me remember how the world was like in 1985. What changes hasn't happened in the last 20 years? The world has changed, the issues have changed, there is freedom in those countries, the artists that were young back in 85 are still there, but they have aged. I have aged, and am now a man, but the concert made me realize that hope is still there. Yes, the world has changed, but there are still problems in Africa. The world still needs a Bob Geldof and a Bono to make us remember, and to challenge us! Yesterday the task was signing our names in a global fight for justice. Did I sign? Yes, and I felt a bit of that youthful hope I had back in '85 as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Per!
Yes, I read your blog but am usually a distant lurker and never comment!
But the Live 8 concert also got me excited and hopeful, I only saw small parts so far, but this weekend hope to watch the whole thing. Kanye West and Stevie Wonder were AMAZING! The only thing that would have made it better would have been an Amy Grant sing. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Love
Colleen Echohawk-Hayashi

Norwegianthinker said...

Hi Colleen,
Great to hear from you!! Hearing that you saw the concert as well proves my point. You're at the other side of the globe, but we still shared the same experience! You are more than welcome to be a lurker, but don't be afraid to comment as well!