Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Oslo - can it get any better?

This week Aftenposten, one of the major newspapers here in Norway, presented a survey involving hundreds of inhabitants of Oslo. The question was how people like living here. 9 or 10 people either loves or likes the city, while one of ten thinks it’s OK or bad. For me it’s no surprise. I’ve always really enjoyed living here. The combination of culture and nature in this city is its strongest asset. Concert halls, movie theaters, a lot of museums, art galleries and then the fjord and thousands of miles of forest a few minutes by subway from the city center – can it get any better? I don’t think so. I have some favorite spots on this planet: New York is one, Paris is another – but, amazingly enough – Oslo is definitely up there with these cities in my mind. Is there nothing bad about Oslo? Sure it is. There are a lot of people that are struggling; with drugs, with prostitution and crime. On my way to work I meet them every day, but I’ve never had any bad experiences myself. I don’t want our city in all areas to show off a polished surface where everything is slick and without scratches. This is not a theme park, but a city. I like that – diversity – both among people and in the different areas of the city. In other words, I live my life here in Oslo, and it’s great to live in a city that I really enjoy living in, and where most others share that joy! You are welcome to experience it yourself – it’s here and it’s waiting for you!

No comments: