Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Up North

Near Kirkenes, Norway March 2006 (Photo: Norwegianblogger)

For three days I've been in Kirkenes, Norway's North-Easternmost city, not far from the North Cape. I've been there for my work and it's been great. I've listened to a lot of stories and conversations from and with the Sami people, the indigenous people of Norway (and Sweden, Finland and parts of Russia). There's a lot to learn, and I love to listen. At the same time, I realize once more that we're first and foremost fellow human beings. There's not really much difference between us, but a people's past and history gives each human being a special gift that comes together in each individual. There's a lot to learn from the indigenous peoples of the world and we need to listen to their wisdom of not thinking about ourselves in isolation from earth and nature. We're all a part of it and we need to respect all that surrounds us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree that we have to listen and learn. Nice to read about your thoughts from the north of Norway. For my self, I am looking forward to my trip to Nigeria on sunday. Hopefully I will learn a lot of being together with some people there. In Norway we are more individuals than people are in many other countries. In my work with prostitution I meet foreigners selling their bodies not only to take care of their children, - but also for their parents and the entire family.
They do not have the social welfare system that we have, and because of the lack of work and money they feel this exstreme responsibility in taking care of each other...

Norwegianthinker said...

Takk for hyggelig hilsen Helge! Håper at du får en givende tur til Afrika og at det gir gode innspill og inspirasjon til både jobb og deg selv!

hopelandik said...

:O

thinking of you today...a bit grey and moody outside, sort of like Northern Norway perhaps...I do love color when the background is so simple.

i've moved recently to a wonderful spot near UW...you would love the view and my housemate Jim.

let's chat sometime soon.
p.s. saw the film "Capote" yesterday, was absolutely moved to tears. would have loved to have seen it and processed it with you. Mr. Processor Dehlin!

Shalom,
C

Norwegianthinker said...

Wonderful to hear from you - as always! An apartment close to the UW, Seattle - I guess it's not far from where I was living back in the golden days of my fieldwork? Let's find a time to chat - it's been awhile! I hope we'll be able to meet in 2006. Do you have any plans for Europe this year?