Friday, October 07, 2005

The Man from Canterbury

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams at the University of Oslo, October 7, 2005 (Photo: Norwegianblogger)

During the last weeks I've been a part of a group that has been preparing the visit of The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams in Norway. I like that kind of work, and when I've been working on a project for awhile it makes me curious about the person. Today I was able to take part in one of the many parts of his program here in Norway, namely his lecture at the University of Oslo. Afterwards I was able to exchange a few words with him and have a couple of photos of course, before he went on with his program. At his lecture he talked about "Christian thought and the Threat to Earth". The scarcity of resources represents a moral question. When people fight for resources, injustice happens. Every person has a fundamental right to have his or her vital needs met. The Church must answer these questions through actions, but also by finding theological answers. The Archbishop elaborated four different approaches. The first approach is relational / creational. The material world was brought into existence by a word from God. The LOGOS (the word) is basic for all encounters. LOGOS is God, and everything is brought into relationship with God by being created. Secondly is the contemplative approach with its emphasis on poverty. It's possible to think of poverty as a cleared vision of the world. When we free ourselves from all our attachments, we are able to get a clearer vision. In that way, poverty is a challenge to all addictive behavior. Thirdly there is the sacramental approach, that all things are related before it relates to us or me. Fourth he talked about the approach of justice. As is said in the book of Leviticus, we don't own the land, it is only lend to us. Our possessions are not ours, but are only there to be used for awhile. Care for the environment is decisive for the future of this planet. Access to clean water and unpolluted food is important for all of us, and shouldn't be of access to only a few. The challenge for us is to understand that even though one person can't change the world, every person can change one thing.
I felt privileged to be able to listen to this leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans in 160 countries. I didn’t understand everything. I’m not a theologian, and I guess my British English understanding is a little corrupted after staying a year in the US, but Dr. Williams seems to care for the world, and has found a way to make theology into action. We need that, and we need leaders that show us the challenges for the church and the world today.


Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams in Oslo, October 7, 2005 (Photo: Norwegianblogger)

1 comment:

Erin said...

You gotta love a man with eyebrows like his...

I just barely missed meeting Rev. Williams when I was in Canterbury, England last year. I parted with some friends for lunch, and I heard later that they had met and chatted with him for a while. I was jealous of their opportunity (and now yours).

I do love the Anglican Church, and Rev. Williams is leading it at a very difficult time. I have admired his ability to teach peace through the turmoil.