Saturday, April 02, 2005

Death of a Pope

Pope John Paul II died this evening. It strange isn't it? He's been there for almost 27 years as Pope and now he's gone. I was always amazed about how people reacted around him, but I finally understood when I was in Rome in 2001. I walked around St. Peter's Square one evening when a priest approached me and asked me if I wanted an invitation into the Vatican to see the movie Que Vadis with the Pope present. It was a surreal experience since the movie was really violent. A few rows in front of me I could see the Pope sitting in his chair. After the movie he was coming up through the middle of the big hall. The atmosphere was electric, and the closer he got people the more people was totally extatic. He had an aura that was really strong, and even through the photos I shot this evening you can sense a bit of his charisma. Here's the Pope through my lense in 2001.

Pope John Paul II in Rome 2001. Photo: Norwegianblogger Posted by Hello

2 comments:

hopelandik said...

why am I not surprised by your adventure with the pope of our age? you seem to often be in the right place at at the right time. perhaps you can write more about this experience? it would do us well to learn more about him from your perspective.

keep moving where you are guided.

hopelandik said...

lovely picture, by the way.