Thursday, August 18, 2005

Murder of a spiritual giant

I was really shocked yesterday when I heard about the murder of Brother Roger, the founder of the Taizé community in France. He was killed during the afternoon's service in Taizé with 2500 people present. Knowing that he all his life fought for peace and reconciliation makes the murder even more shocking. I visited Taizé three years ago, and those days made a deep and lasting impact on me. During one of the services Brother Roger prayed for me by laying a hand on my head and saying a blessing. Seeing him that close and sensing his strong spiritual presence and love for God was something to remember. I experienced Taizé as a place that added another dimension to my life, the dimension of spiritual introspection and peace. From that place of peace I was able to look at my life in a more honest way, and I sensed a strong spiritual presence of being seen and loved by God. This is the legacy of Brother Roger and Taizé in my life, and I know that there are thousands of stories from people all over the world that can testify to the impact of Taizé in their lives. Brother Roger was stabbed to death with a knife by a 36 year old woman from Rumania. I don't know what went through her head, but I know that even though Brother Roger was killed, his message of love, reconciliation and peace will prevail. Taizé might have lost a spiritual giant, but his legacy will live on!

The Church of Reconciliation in Taizé, France (Photo: Norwegianblogger 2002)

1 comment:

Erin said...

You are fortunate to have been prayed over by Brother Roger. It is hard to process something so senseless as his murder...