Tuesday, August 30, 2005

KG Hammar - faith & controversy

I’ve been reading a book of / about the Archbishop of Church of Sweden, KG Hammar lately. While reading it, the Archbishop released a statement about planning to resign next summer. He’s been the Archbishop of the Church of Sweden for several years, and experienced the separation of the Church and State in Sweden as the head of the Church. He’s been a highly controversial leader in the church and has been under a lot of criticism. He’s raising questions, more than giving answers, he’s questioning a lot of the central doctrines of the church and has been an outspoken leader against war in Iraq, in favor of same-sex marriages and other current issues. It’s great to be able to listen to a person in more detail, than hearing a quotation or seeing an interpretation in the tabloids. A book is a wonderful tool in that respect. After spending some time “with him” in a book written as a conversation between him and Swedish author Ami Lönnroth I am intrigued. At the same time I understand why he is so controversial. He refuses to give clear answers and answers a lot of the questions for clarity with new questions. I don’t share his views on all matters, but in some ways, that doesn’t really matter. He don’t want me to agree with him – he wants me to find my way to God, and find faith without him giving me all the answers. I find in him an interesting approach to life and to faith that resonates with something within. His view of faith is connected to a strong emphasis on relationship, between God and us – and between human beings. Faith is first and foremost a relationship to God, and not a doctrine or a set of rules or regulations. This can be seen as a mystical approach to faith. Where there is unselfish love – you’ll find God. So – where does that leave us? I don’t know. His approach challenges me to the core – he urges me to ask questions myself – What is faith? What is spiritual leadership? Who is God? What is the human race? Where are we headed? Who am I? I guess the answer lies in opening up – opening up for questions, for answers, but most of all for the ability to live in openness towards God AND to other human beings. Not being afraid of all the questions, but slowly letting myself fall – out of control – out of the orderly systems – into the arms of God. Maybe not the answer the Archbishop would have preferred, but I believe it’s a process he would have supported. So thank you Archbishop KG Hammar for trusting us to find our own answers, and giving us tools and a framework from where to find our way. Maybe that is spiritual leadership? Exercising spiritual leadership, from a position of power, but in a spirit of servitude.

No comments: