Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Swingin' London

I'm spending great days in London. Yesterday I was actually out of London on a walk in Salisbury and Stonehenge. Thanks to the TKTS booth I was today able to see two plays. First I saw Hedda Gabler - I was really impressed and even though I haven't been the greatest Ibsen-fan, I was touched by the play. Compliments to the casting - all of them were great. The choice of Eve Best as Hedda Gabler was superb and ALL the supporting actors were outstanding!

.
.
In the evening I saw Val Kilmer and Charlotte Emmerson in The Postman always rings twice. Powerful, yet sensitive. Raw and violent, yet romantic - and both the main actors had a strong presence on stage.


P&C
Originally uploaded by Norwegianblogger.
Charlotte Emmerson and me in London.


Seeing both of these plays in one day knowing that the first was set in my native country, while the other one was set in the other country I've lived, made me think about the differences and similarities of these countries. I think the plays in many ways elaborated some typical traits of the people living in these countries, but at the same time are both stories universal. Seeing these two plays convinced me once more of the power of theater! I enjoyed it tremendously - and London - what a city. You just have to avoid some of the stressful parts of it, like Piccadilly Circus, Oxford street and the streets around Parliament. The rest of it can both be peaceful, interesting and diverse!

1 comment:

hopelandik said...

you said it...there is incredible power in theatre...I was very moved by an Ibsen play in London as well. A few years ago, my mom and I saw Ralph Fiennes in "Brand". What an amazing story. It moved me to tears and I believe it was equally as powerful for the actor. when the play ended, and he had just heard the mist say "God is love"...Ralph Fiennes just stood there, staring, as if transfixed on an image or thought. May it be that the truth of that statement became true for him in that moment.

today, I believe it too.